Boston Magazine's May cover is beautiful. I quite honestly can't think of a more appropriate way to make us all pause for a moment to reflect on the events of last week and remind us that America moves forward.
Today on their news blog, Boston Magazine’s Editor in Chief John Wolfson explained the process behind the cover. Although it is always interesting to hear how a cover came to be, this one did make me tear up a bit. I included the beginning of the story on my main blog but you can read Wolfson’s full explanation on their site.
The magazine hits stands on Friday and they are already working on putting out a poster of the cover, and of course all the proceeds will go to The One Fund-Boston.
On a side note of my own, as a person in the journalism and news design industry…
When I saw this cover, I felt almost a sigh of relief. I have handful of friends in Boston, many of them runners, and last week all I wanted was to be there with them, in total mom-mode hugging them tight and controlling how much TV time they had. Boston is a tough city. It takes care of it’s own and there is no doubt in my mind that my friends are going to be stronger and braver, and more spirited athletes in the future. But we’re all still healing. And after front page after front page of terrifying images, Boston Magazine’s cover is like a big bandaid.
I think this cover is a reminder for all of us of the impact of images, the impact of print and the importance of local coverage. A national outlet couldn’t have put together something this powerful, and even if they did, it couldn’t have the same impact.
Media isn’t always the bad guy, out to exploit a story. Often, and especially in the wake of tragedy, media is what pulls us back together in the biggest embrace and keeps us unified.
That’s my jumbled, emotional two cents for the day. Share this cover. Read the stories. Hug someone you love.
- julianspaintfilledhair likes this
- loudnproud8406 likes this
- carlajambazian likes this
- xixxii likes this
- amber-rose-halford likes this
- mewbey likes this
- sea-ren1ty reblogged this from because-we-are-perfect
- oh-eff likes this
- mintyclinty likes this
- caitlinnoah reblogged this from true-antagonist
- betterdisasters likes this
- true-antagonist reblogged this from tobeshelved
- bpobox reblogged this from tobeshelved
- shelovesbooksalot reblogged this from tobeshelved
- vanillashakes reblogged this from tobeshelved
- stuartbache likes this
- thekeyofreason likes this
- bpobox likes this
- talkslikesummer likes this
- karanablue likes this
- taaybabe reblogged this from palefacearielle
- mistilovesyou reblogged this from danastump
- palefacearielle reblogged this from mermaaaid
- mermaaaid reblogged this from myheartisfried
- myheartisfried reblogged this from somehow-here-again
- quotedquarterly likes this
- bamffigaro likes this
- f0ryoukidx reblogged this from margaretradl
- nomoreturningaway likes this
- smallskeleton reblogged this from danastump and added:
- completecontrol likes this
- littleboxesandbows reblogged this from tobeshelved
- 394heisenberg likes this
- condwiramurs likes this
- danastump reblogged this from margaretradl
- margaretradl reblogged this from tobeshelved
- margaretradl likes this
- msleahkaye reblogged this from tobeshelved
- catchingthetradewinds reblogged this from tobeshelved
- catchingthetradewinds likes this
- malihalala likes this
- somehow-here-again reblogged this from because-we-are-perfect
- because-we-are-perfect reblogged this from soundofsomeonesvoicewholovesyou
- karasmarsh likes this
- eaholla likes this
- soundofsomeonesvoicewholovesyou reblogged this from tobeshelved
- stillhidden likes this
- sherffstilinskis likes this
- tobeshelved posted this